Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Radio Operator

In WW2 my grandfather was a radio operator. This radio was super heavy. It hard enough that you had the weight of yourself when you fall out of the planes as a paratrooper. But he also had to carry that radio. In Saving Private Ryan when  Tom Hanks was on the beach talking to the guy about how they needed more troops, and the guys face was gone. Well that was my grandfathers job. He had to listen and repeat everything. It was a hard job. 

2 comments:

  1. Yea I remembering watching a show on vets of WWII, one man was a radio operator and another man was a flamethrower operator. They both said that carrying the things was hard enough and trying to dodge bullets with them was cheating death. Like the movie pictured one shot to the tanks of the flamethrower would cause the operator to burst into flames. I have also heard that the radio also saved a couple of live since it was so heavy that it absorbed the shrapnel of explosives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was the same job my grandpa had to do when he was in the war, but he was not a paratrooper so I don't know the difficulties, all I did know was that it was a hard and important job.

    ReplyDelete